Thursday, May 21, 2009

What's With the Name?

SR Chroma Yah Yamin Chayil Asah. Quite a handle for a little black pup, huh? What does it mean? Well, first of all, SR stands for Susan Robinson, who is Ky's breeder. She is an amazingly energetic veterinarian in Texas who has a heart of gold. She is incredibly devoted to all she does.

Chroma is the kennel name of JP Yousha, dog breeder/handler/trainer extraordinaire. She's the one that got me hooked up with Susan and has been a great source of encouragement and knowledge in dog handling. Her website is http://www.chromadane.com/ . JP is a prolific writer and has a vast amount of information about the Dane breed at her site.

Yah Yamin Chayil Asah (The right hand of the Lord does valiantly). This is from Psalm 118, verse 16. This is my testimony of how God has worked in my life. He has proven Himself a strong warrior on my family's behalf. Two years ago this past week, our then 25-year-old son was diagnosed with a very rare, aggressive form of cancer called Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumors. Ben was given a 17% chance of survival and placed on a rigorous regime of chemotherapy, surgery, then radiation. All that lasted nine months. On the very worst day of Ben's first chemo treatment, the Lord laid a verse on my heart for Ben. It says, "I will not die, but live, and tell the works of the Lord. The Lord has disciplined me severely, but He has not given me over to death." This is Psalm 118, verses 17 & 18. We believe that God does allow pain in our lives sometimes to teach us more about His character and His care for us. We grow through it and have a greater compassion for others who are suffering. Anyway, this was God's promise to me for Ben's life--he would survive the treatment to tell of God's wonderful works. If you notice, Ky's name is the verse before Ben's verse. God has worked valiantly in Ben's life and ours by restoring Ben's health. The Lord has proven Himself to be One who keeps His promise.

An interesting side note is that Yamin (right hand) is in both Ben(jamin) and Ky's names. I believe that when God refers to His right hand in the Bible, He is referring to Jesus. Ben's name means Son of the Right Hand. Ky's name means that Jesus does valiantly. He is our strong warrior.

So, there you have it! My Great Dane puppy bears the reminder that my God is my valiant keeper.

No comments: