Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My Baby



I arrived in Texas pretty sure which pup I was going to come home with, but thinking I'd have somewhat of a choice. As things often go, I believe the choice was pre-ordained as this little black and white pup that I thought I'd come home with crawled into my lap and looked into my eyes. It didn't really matter that he wasn't the most agile of the pups from this agility dog breeding, he was my baby.


Ky did amazingly well on the plane from Dallas to Seattle. Many of those in the seats around me didn't even realize there was a nearly 24 pound puppy under the seat in front of me! I will admit that lugging a pup that large on and off a plane and through the airport was not an easy task. But I will always remember the look of adoration on the face of Paul, my husband, and my daughter, Beth's, face has Ky and I came up the escalator in the airport. Our baby was home.


Chloe, our 7-year-old Labrador Retriever, had to wait until morning to meet Ky. As JP Yousha, Ky's grandsire's owner said, "Who greets new visitors at 10 o'clock at night?" Wisdom taken. In the morning, we brought Chloe into our room to meet Ky, who was still in his crate. Chloe looked at Paul, she looked at Beth, she looked at me...but she wouldn't even look at Ky. Nope--didn't exist in her mind. Don't see it, it must not be there. Eventually, we brought Ky out, but Chloe still didn't want much to do with him.


Later that day, my son, Adam, and his wife, Sheli, came over to celebrate a belated Mother's Day and have a puppy party! Adam took wonderful photos of Ky which we will enjoy for years to come. Lots of ooo'ing and aww'ing over feet size and cuteness, plus a wonderful dinner provided by my local kids!


Oops! I hear a puppy whining!! I'll have to continue with the story of our week, so far, later. It has had a lot of adventures for a baby dog!

No comments: